Sunrise
We have left gentle sunny September behind, and are getting to know October. Right now misty morning turning to sunny, but we know October can be temperamental, and the warm layers we haven't yet taken out very much are waiting.
This morning, the sun was rising just as the kids left for school at about 8:15 - it had hiked above the treetops beyond the fields and while not warming, it gave a warm wash to the colors of the world.
Kai has been practicing handling all the road crossings and intersections on the way to school. He asked yesterday if he could bike to school on his own. This morning he did so well, I said he could start doing that if he wants. I suspect he doesn't actually mind the company in the morning, but the recognition mattered to him.
This week we took the opportunity to grill outside while the weather was still warm (that was back in September). Petra has taken herself to the swimming pool once on her own after school, and said she enjoyed having time there to swim, but also shower and have sauna. I had had a chance to talk to her teacher and it sounds like she is coping with her classmates and doing really well in adapting to her new class and school. I haven't had a chance to chat with Kai's teacher so I don't have an update on him, but Petra's teacher reminded me that "no news is good news" so I assume things are not too bad there either.
Kai trialed a kids introductory taekwondo class. With the covid situation it's not clear how long such things might be open, but it was a big gym, and not a big class, so I felt it was worth giving a try. He was excited, and then over-exerted himself racing at top speed when an easier run would do, and then got a stitch in his side. The class was very relaxed, so although he was not happy after the first session, I think we'll keep at it as long as we can. I was contemplating taking it also, but i confess I felt a little shy as it's mostly kids, only one other adult, and the teacher is an old classmate of mine from elementary school...
In another piece of news, we rented a car for 3 months, and I was surprised it was not the smallest size as I picked the lowest price. We have a good car to take us places when we don't want to go by bike, so that's also good.




Comments