Turning 2020 into a different kind of adventure

 Greetings from Turku, our small, quaint corner of a beautiful, green, city on the southwest coast of Finland. I am toweling off after getting caught in a really impressive rainstorm, and the kids are in the tiny kitchen washing the breakfast dishes (after being informed that because there is no dishwasher, this was how it was going to be). I realize I need to tell them about the draining cupboard as I can see Kai towel drying cups. That’s just one more detail they’ll become familiar with in the coming weeks, if all goes to plan. 

The plan is that the kids start school in Paimio (small town near by) after our self-managed quarantine is over, and continue attending school until the winter break on the 19th of December. I hope to work remotely through that time, and we all live with my mom. 


A few things we have seen so far: San Francisco airport was deserted and empty, but Frankfurt was busy and bustling. Helsinki airport was somewhere in between, although the driver of the taxi we took all the way to where we are now told us that they get in a week as many people as they used to get in one of their busiest hours. We can’t really speak for other cities, but the people of Turku behave largely as if there was no covid virus - there is very little mask wearing in the under 75-year-old categories even at grocery stores, and walking around with masks on gets you some very strange looks. Masks are supposedly mandatory on public transit, but even there mask-wearing rates are very low. 

Keeping fingers crossed, for everyone, for all reasons, and waiting for a break in the rain. 

Popular posts from this blog

Winter -- the second best day of the year

11.8.2008 - Tyttöenergian uudet ulottuvuudet

30.4.2006 - vappua!