Negatively positive and finally arriving, again.

 After my covid test came back negative, I felt that we could start getting our business in order. That meant, for instance, getting Kai a phone and prepaid sim cards for both kids. We rode our bikes a good 5 miles to a big shopping center where we would find a store with the little phone I had decided was right for Kai. The forecast had said it would be dry, but, of course, we did get rained on. Petra said she thought it was so strange to be biking in the rain, it felt like the first time ever, and she kind of liked it. With that attitude we made it, and then back again. 





On Friday it was glorious weather, but the youngsters did not like the idea of going outside, until I suggested that they might like to go off to find the fluffy cat again - on their own. This got them excited, and I sent them off after quizzing them on how they planned to get there. Meanwhile, I rode my bike in the opposite direction, and enjoyed the university campus area, near the cathedral, and visited the Sibelius museum, where I used to play with Akademiska Orkestern (swedish speaking university orchestra) about 27 years ago. According to the person at the ticket desk, the orchestra has become a stodgy retiree group and she did not seem to hold them in very high regard. I had briefly wondered if I would join them again for a bit, but perhaps not. After a short tour of the only partially open museum, I headed up river and met up with the kids, and then my bike's steering column became loose, and I had to walk my bike home. I think I will just return it and exchange it for something else, since they had already once tightened it and the bike comes with a warranty. 



On Friday evening, several of my later meetings were cancelled, so I enjoyed a good night's sleep and then decided that this day, Saturday, would be an excellent day to make our move to the next destination - my childhood home in Paimio. The kids packed a few things in their backpacks, and after much cajoling, raked up most of the things that had exploded all over the house into or near their suit cases. After a quick lunch we hopped on our bikes (well, I hopped into my boots), put our things and ourselves on a long distance bus, and arrived in Paimio to an afternoon of solid rain. 



The extra space in the house was very welcome to the kids. They have been enjoying generous physical distance from each other and me as well, finding new things to do, and whatsapping with their dutch cousins all afternoon. We have arranged their sleeping quarters, set up a desk and I'll bring the rest of the luggage tomorrow. Have to say, this worked out well. It was like the airline losing your bags and delivering them next day - the delightful low hassle arrival without all the immediate unpacking, and also without the aggravation of lost or damaged bags - just knowing they'll arrive perfectly fine tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter -- the second best day of the year

11.8.2008 - Tyttöenergian uudet ulottuvuudet

30.4.2006 - vappua!